Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Floral Dress, Combat Boots and DIY Studded Jacket

Floral dress + combat boots. I have coveted this look all spring, but, alas did not own a floral dress and have been rather hesitant about buying one. When you've trained yourself to be drawn to all things black and studded and edgy with patterns of skulls and stripes, suddenly trying to look for something as feminine as floral becomes a foreign task. I also feel ridiculous in anything too girly, so I didn't think I could pull it off. But then, a miracle happened...

The complete look.
I've been on the hunt for a casual summer dress, and figured if I could find a floral one I might as well kill two birds with one stone. I discovered this dress at H&M last week when I tried (and epic failed) to buy a work-appropriate summer wardrobe. Check out this pattern! It's black, floral, AND it has skulls. And the flowy, lightweight material makes it the perfect summer dress! Even better? It was only $10. Score!

Close-up of the dress.
I'm still on my DIY kick, and decide this little cropped denim jacket needed an update. I love all the studded denim vests and jackets that are out right now (obviously, I have a denim obsession since I incorporate it into just about every outfit...), but I figured it was something I could do myself instead of spending the money on a new one. 

Before.
I used the same conical studs from Studsandspikes.com to stud the jacket as I did my boots a few weeks ago. I studded the front of the collar, a line down each shoulder, and around the top of the sleeve. It probably took me less than an hour, and it gave me something to do while I listened to the Harry Potter books on tape! Yes, like cassette tape. Not only am I in denial about growing up, but also that it is the 21st century, apparently...


The finished vest.


The last few items to complete the outfit: fishnet tights, a cuff bracelet, skinny black belt, and my trusty combat boots. I picked up the tights on sale at Hot Topic; I can never bring myself to pay full price for tights because I can rarely wear them more than once or twice without managing to get caught on something. I adore fishnets -- they're another accessory that adds instant edge to any outfit -- and I thought the little details on the back were super cute!


I've worn this skull cuff bracelet in a few other posts, but I've never done a close-up. It is my favorite accessory. I picked it up in Paris a year ago, despite my friend trying to talk me out of it because it was too extreme. Maybe I have this bracelet to blame for finally indulging in my love of edgy fashion. :)

Skull cuff bracelet and black nails.
 


2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS DIY vest! It is perfect! And you would find the perfect floral dress with a touch of edgy! Love it :) P.S. I forgot to ask who takes your pictures?! They always turn out so well!

    OH AND YOUR EYEBROWS LOOK PERFECT HERE. I am slightly obsessed with eyebrows so good work :)
    And your make up looks great. Okay basically you are perfect. HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON! Maybe this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad does the photography since he loves taking pictures!

      Ahhhh! THANK YOU!! I have a weird obsession with eyebrows so that's, like, the best compliment I could receive. My mom and brother hate that I fill mine in and always complain about them haha.

      And you're so sweet :) I hopefully will being seeing you around this weekend!!

      Delete