Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Ramblings of a Recent College Grad

It has now been a little over a week since I graduated college...and the realization finally hit me. It took moving out of my crooked little one bedroom apartment to realize that I'm about to begin a new stage of life. And it feels weird. But I have a month off before I start my full time job, so for now I'm just going to enjoy summer and being seventeen again twenty-two for now.

I wore my signature combat boots instead of heels like a normal person. But then again, I'm the girl who wore converse to prom...
I don't consider myself in any way qualified to give life advice. I mean, I'm twenty-two, I don't have my life figured out yet! In fact, I'm only twenty-two so I don't feel like I should have it figured out. However, I feel like I have learned my fair share of lessons in the past four years (one of which was realizing that I shouldn't have to have my life all planned out by graduation) and I thought it was in line with the goal of my blog to share the ways in which I've learned to embrace my weirdness and be myself.

It took me the better part of my college career (as in, until my graduating semester), to realize just how much more there is to life than school or a career. I've always had so many other passions and obsessions, but I completely set them aside in pursuit of the perfect GPA and résumé. And I wasn't happy. While it's in my nature to be a bit of an overachiever (I'm just an all around nerd), that can only go so far. While it's important to work hard, I finally realized that success in and of itself does not equal happiness, and no amount of it is worth sacrificing doing what I love. 

Along those lines, I learned to start living my life and not just my résumé, and discovered that I want to have a life and not just a career. I'm glad I worked hard, but I'm even happier that I finally realized that there is so much more to life than just having a successful career. After all, you only live once (I hate it when people shorten this to "YOLO"), and you should live doing what you love!

All right. End rant. Just had to share my discovery, because my outlook has completely changed for the better in the past few months. I hope you can take something away from my lessons as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment